Thursday, May 22, 2014

Professional Learning Networks (PLN)

     
    Developing my Professional Learning Network (PLN) will begin with a web search looking at directories of PLN sites that reflect my interests in higher education, PTE type training, healthcare occupations, and technology in teaching. I prefer to be connected to educational sites that introduce new teaching technologies and issues relating to educational leadership, and andragogical rather than pedagogical issues. I was able to connect to and join a PLN that meets these requirements. It is called edWeb.net and essentially is a vibrant, active community of leaders in education who are focused advancement and innovation. Being a member of this organizations will keep me abreast of the emerging research and technologies available to my profession. It will channel me to new knowledge of current trends and issue though discussions with others who day to day share these challenges. Knowledge will be transferred, collected and reflected upon to heighten my own understanding resulting in personal, professional, and societal growth and development.
    PLN are repositories of personal knowledge that are socialized via social media applications for the benefit of learning. According to Peritus (2013), “learning is always socially constructed and often interactive.” Realizing this we find value in learning from the experiences of others. Bingham & Conner (2010) suggest only a fragment of learning is derived from formal training. Most learning and development is a result of real time, real life experiences. On another level, learning is apparent in the reflective process where socialization unlocks the tacit knowledge making it explicit. It is the explicit knowledge that is readily shared, usable, and valuable to society.
References:
Bingham, T., Conner, M. (2010). The New Social Learning. American Society for Training &
            Development: United States.
Peritus Blog (2013). Best Practices III. Retrieved May 22, 2014 from


            peritus-blog

2 comments:

  1. Cindy,
    You have a great outlook on your PLN. There is so much to learn about advanced technology that applies to the workforce. I would like to know more about your career and what you think is some of the important issues to focus on. I think edWeb.net is an educational organization and I am interested into looking into it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy
    You seem to have done your research. I think focuses on andragogical is a good idea at this point in your professional development. Are you a member, or have you considered joining other organizations, besides edweb, to get more contacts and information or would that be to much? ?At this point I am considering joining SHRM. I do not think I will join more that one at this point. Going to work, studying, and keeping up with one organization seems to be enough right now.

    ReplyDelete