Thursday, May 29, 2014

Managing the Information Pipeline 

   
C. Seaman photo
 Springtime on the farm begins in a flurry with the arrival of baby calves and tender seedlings. The workload shifts a bit to a slower, peaceful pace pierced only by the shrill chirping of the yellow-bellied marmot commonly known as the rock chuck or chuck. The Border Collies, furloughed from their duties with the cattle, spend hours tracking these large ground squirrels. One chirp sends the pups running here and there, looking in random pipes, holes, and stumps without a plan or a successful outcome. Managing the plethora of information in today's society can resemble this scenario; individuals with their heads in the pipeline, running out of time, on the hunt for new and meaningful data. 
     Fortunately, with the assistance of aggregators (feed readers, news readers, RSS readers) the task can be managed simply and efficiently. Subscription to a feed reader such as RSS (Real Site Summary or Real Simple Syndication), scours websites, blogs, browsers, and feeds to consolidate the updated information; creating for the user a personal and unique information space. Aggregation technology brings the information directly to the user saving time and honing the information to the interests of the user. Feed readers may be web, mobile, or desk-top based to meet the demand needs of the user and can be accessed anywhere by the user with an internet connection. 
     Examples of popular web-based feeds include: Bloglines, FrescaNews, Feedly and Digg Reader. Personally, I selected Feedly (http://www.feedly.com) as my current feed reader. The application met my needs for ease in use and the streamlined, categorized display of feeds makes it easy to navigate. Based on my interests, Feedly routinely suggests other sources of information to enrich my lifelong learning experience.
     Manage your information pipeline! Start today by bringing the information to you with the efficiency and accuracy of a feed reader that meets your needs. Let your feed reader be the chirp of the chuck that guides your information hunt.

RSS -Bing Images

Feedly-Bing Images





3 comments:

  1. Wow, you have provided such an informative thoughts for this post though it’s not so clear for me (maybe because I am not really familiar with RSS, FEED reader and etc.,) but you have created a post that can relate as to what tool would you utilize and use for the upcoming posts. Perhaps, I would suggest if you can relate how will you use these aggregators to your blog and relate it to achieve your goals and purpose of blogging.
    I really admire people who were explorer and fearless to know things beyond what they were told to do so. It’s like providing imagination out from nowhere, which I consider a key to enhance more my knowledge about technology and its use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really used the RSS or any of the feed programs or websites. I always thought that they are not my field of interest and not important to me. The thing I know about these website that they provide an up to date information to selective people about selective things they want to know about. It's exactly like you said. I would love to change the way I see the feed technology and start using it, but I always feel that there's no time to do so. If you could talk more about the RSS and the other websites that you mentioned to further address the type of services they provide and also the differences between each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the connection you made with the farm and your border collies. A feed reader is a great way to help organize your learning.

    ReplyDelete