Monday, June 9, 2014

Photo Credit: blog.hreonline.com

Blog #7. Pump Up the PLN for Performance! 

Sore Arms and Self-Talk

     With sore arms from summer Cross Fit training, I reached for the fitness magazine peering down at me from the bookstore shelf. Maybe I was looking for training tips and maybe I was simply seeking motivation to continue with the class. God knows how many times I had tried to talk myself out of another day of class and how I pressured myself  to continue on using positive self talk.

Training vs. Working Out

     Flipping through the contents of the magazine an article on "working out" verses "training" caught my eye. The article suggested when going out for an exercise session to see it as "training" rather than a "workout". Why? Because training is what athletes do to reach goals and steadily improve. When you "workout" you go through the motions of an exercise routine or complete the time on the treadmill. When athletes train they track their performance and work consistently to improve metrics such as distances, reps, weights, and recovery times. This is one of the reasons I enjoy Cross Fit. There is training and then there are tests. Outcomes testing is a challenging, yet satisfying means to chart real improvements in performance and overall fitness over time. 

It's All About You!

     Really it is, and this is NOT a form of personality disorder or deviant behavior. When your train, always look at your performance and NEVER compare this to the levels demonstrated by others. Remember that everyone has different aspirations and are at a different levels of fitness. Keep the performance focus centered on yourself. Set relevant, attainable, and clear training goals and put in your best efforts. Each training session is for your benefit. Own it!

Performance PLN Development

     To achieve the maximum benefit of microsharing in building your PLN (professional/personal learning network), it is important to look at it from the athletic perspective...the eye of the tiger! Let me be your coach and get you started on a PLN for performance plan. Follow these training steps for incredible outcomes:
  • Set Goals. Long-term (what do you want to obtain from your PLN). Short-term (which microsharing applications will you select, who will you follow).
  • Set a Schedule. This is important as time is a valuable resource and must be used wisely. Set a specified time and work to stick to it when tweeting, or blogging. As with athletic training, keep it regimented when it comes to time. Too much time spent leads to lowered focus, injury, and/or burnout.
  • Shake it up. Add variety to maximize your results and to avoid stagnation. 
  • Stick with it. Noticing results and improvements in performance will take time so stay with it.
  • Self Focus. Look at your progress and do not focus on the number of tweets your peers completed in the past hour, or that your sister has more followers. Which leads to the next item:
  • Go for Quality. Poor form and sloppy repetitions does not lead to improvement. As with microsharing applications and use really hone your connections down to those who either match or challenge your interests.
  • Evaluate Outcomes. Periodically, evaluate your PLN goals and rewrite them if necessary. In a complex world things change. Your professional and personal goals may change. Take time to evaluate your performance achieved from your PLN. Do you need to work harder to tone weak areas in your progress? Are you where you set a goal to be or do you need to redirect and establish new goals? Make the changes and move on!

  

It's Your PLN!

     Yes, it is! Don't just work it, train by it for personal and professional performance that is achievable!
     


4 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy. I love how you combined your two passions in this post. I know you train for cross-fit like I train for 5ks, and redirecting that passion and the steps we use for fitness into a PLN creation was very creative. I like that you found a new way to make that information easy for others to relate to and that you used a new approach to do so. Honestly, it sounds like an advertisement. We both lead very disciplined lives, and I think setting aside time to accomplish something can be hard for some people. Your post definitely points out the value in doing so and not only makes it sound enjoyable, but easy as pie. Do you relate your lectures for your classes to cross-fit as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cindy! Thank you for sharing some simple steps to develop my PLN. I am overwhelmed with the process right now. I feel that I am behind in each new program we are learning. I have noticed that I have compared myself to others who are much farther ahead such as yourself. Your blog is fantastic! It feels very complete to me and you have added gadgets that I want to add to my page.

    I am enjoying reading everyone's blog and how they are all unique to each of us. Have you designed a blog before? What is your biggest challenge in this class?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the complimentary compliments Rochelle and Merania! Thank you for reading my blog. In teaching the constructivist approach is my favorite. I feel it is important to relate new and unfamiliar concepts that present as abstract in the beginning with sound concrete examples. The students seem to relate very well once they can visualize the concept. so yes, I do teach with this methodology often. Watch my blog for more examples of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merania, This is the FIRST blog I have ever authored and I am enjoying it very much. My biggest challenge in this course it staying off of Twitter. I am thrilled with the amount of information that is tweeted daily! I have been reading articles, looking at diagrams, and viewing videos nonstop for the past several weeks.
    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete